Application Master for Internationals
You must always apply for a study placement in a Master course of study. In addition to German language courses of study, RWTH Aachen also offers English language courses of study. We first explain how to apply for a German language course of study. Underneath this information you can find the information about applying for an English language Master course of study.
For applicants from China, there is a special application process, so please check out our RWTH Aachen in China website.
Application for a German language Master Course of Study
Your application for an open admission course of study must have arrived at our office by March 1* to start studies in the winter semester and by September 1* of the previous year to start studies in the summer semester.
What to Do
- Fill out the Online Application and then print it out.
- Send the signed application with the required documents to the Division 2.1 of the RWTH Aachen International Office
- Print out of the signed application. This is your admissions application.
- Tabular resume
Please include a resume of one to two pages without any gaps with your application. This should cover your entire career and education up until this point and contain the following points: education from elementary school until now, employment, stays abroad, volunteer work, awards, honors, etc.
- Letter of Motivation - about one page
Please answer the following questions in detail: What perceptions do you have when thinking of studies in Germany? Why do you want to study at RWTH Aachen? Why do you want to study this specific subject? Please mention your past academic or university experiences. Where did you receive informatio about RWTH Aachen and your desired subject? What career prospects do you hope to obtain by studying at RWTH Aachen?
- Copy of transcript of records, and if possible module descriptions also called a diploma supplement. Please submit a transcript of records with all of the completed semesters until now. At the time of application, you should be able to submit your transcript of records for all except your last two semesters of study.
- If you already have a degree: copy of university completion certificate
- If you have already taken the exam: copy of language certificate
- Additional documents required by the examination board of your Master course of study.
Please read the webpages for your chosen course of study to find out if you need to submit additional documents! For example, to apply to the Urban Planning Master course of study, you must submit a portfolio. To apply to the Mechanical Engineering Master course of study, an additional form is required. Please submit such forms with your application. Your application will be considered incomplete if these documents are missing!
Translation of Your Documents
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. The copies do not need to be notarized.
Submitting the Documents
- Please do not send us any original documents - we do not send application documents back! Please only send us copies. These do not need to be notarized.
- If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. The correctness of the translations must be authenticated by the German diplomatic or consulate representative in your home country – e.g. the German Embassy – or a certified translator!
- Please do not submit application folders, clear protective covers, or folders of any kind. Send your documents as loose sheets. Do not send the documents in separate envelopes. This will help us when processing them!
- Please remember to bring the originals with you to enrollment of all the documents you submitted copies of in your application. During enrollment we check your the validity of the copies you provided using the originals. Please note that you cannot enroll without the originals! You must also bring certificates and such that were issued in non-standard sizes so that we can confirm their validity.
If you are applying to an open admission course of study, you can submit the language certificate, university degree, and complete transcript of records at the time of enrollment.
If you are applying to a NC subject, the complete application with all the necessary documents must arrive at the International Office no later than the deadline. Please plan time to have your application mailed. Do not send it shortly before the application deadline, since it may arrive too late. All applications received after the deadline will be considered invalid and will be rejected!
Application for an English-taught Master Course of Study
Your application for an English language Master course of study must have arrived at our office by March 1 to start studies in the winter semester and by September 1 of the previous year to start studies in the summer semester.
Please note that very few Master courses of study are offered that start in the summer semester. Please make sure to inform yourself accordingly!
What to Do
- Fill out the Online Application and then print it out. Please note that there are other application processes for Applied Geophysics!
- Send the application with the required documents to the RWTH Aachen International Office before the deadline.
Before you start to fill out the application deadline, you should make sure that you have scanned important documents and are able to upload these while applying.
In order to apply, you must upload the following documents at PDF files:
- Transcript of Records
- Letter of Motivation
- Two Recommendation Letters
Some courses of study require that you upload language certificates, GRE results, or a form specific to that course of study.
If you have completed and sent the online application electronically, print out the application form, sign it, and send it to the address listed on the form.
The International Office only processes your applications, if the signed application has arrived at RWTH Aachen before the application deadline. Please keep in mind how long it takes to mail something to Germany.
Deadlines for Applicants from Non-EU/EEA Countries
|Subject||Application Deadline for the Winter Semester||Application Deadline for the Summer Semester|
|restricted admission (NC)||
* Exception: If you are currently enrolled as a student at RWTH Aachen (for example as an exchange student or in a German course with a student ID number), the deadline is July 15 for the winter semester and January 15 for the summer semester. These application deadlines also apply to applicants, who already have a German university degree.
Deadlines for Applicants from EU/EEA Countries
|Subject||Application Deadline for the Winter Semester||Application Deadline for theSommer Semester|
restricted admission (NC)
|Janine Muth||Phone: +49 241 80 90675
|Dagmar Rödingen||Phone: +49 241 80 90672
drs., Stellvertr. Abteilungsleiter
|Phone: +49 241 80 90671
|Thomas Jansen||Phone: +49 241 80 90673